Saturday, September 24, 2016

Weight Loss

Growing up I was always thin. I never had to worry about my weight. My diet consisted of junk food, I ate fast food whenever I wanted and hardly ever ate a real meal. I also never exercised. EVER. In P.E. I would walk the track instead of run it. I would do the bare minimum just to keep my grade up. I even took badminton for P.E. my sophomore year just to ensure I got the least amount of physical activity possible. I knew eventually my lazy bad habits would catch up with me but at the time I didn't care.

I had my first daughter when I was 20. I had my second daughter when I was 22. Having two kids in such a short amount of time was tough of my body. I had my third daughter when I was 24 and my fourth when I was 30. After having my third daughter I expected to lose a little weight, like I had with the previous two pregnancies, but I didn't. The weight stuck around and when I got pregnant with my fourth daughter I weighed as much at the beginning of my pregnancy as I did when I gave birth to my third. After the fourth I lost no weight. I stayed that weight for five years.

For about the last 10 years I had worn a size 16. I hated it but I loved junk food more. Earlier this year I had to buy a size 18 pant. It was depressing, but I still didn't care enough to change my life. It wasn't until after my birthday in February that I decided to do something about it. In March 2016, Rob and I both decided that we were tired of being fat and tired. We started by changing our diets and giving up fast food. We also started working out. We would use our weight machine in the garage for 30-45 minutes a day, most days of the week. I also started walking on the treadmill that had been used as a coat rack for years. The diet part was easy for me, I like healthy food just about as much as I like junk food but the working out was the tough part for me, and it still is. I have to make myself do it because once I do I feel so much better.

I have have lost 42 pounds and 5 inches from my waist. I have also lowered my total cholesterol from 190 mg/dL one year ago to 132 mg/dL just this month. My triglycerides number was 299 mg/dL one year ago and are now it is at 112 mg/dL. My BMI has gone from 30.3 to 26.3. I now wear a size 12. All without any magic pill, wrap, cream or crazy diet.


BEFORE - Christmas 2014. I gained 10 more pounds between this one and my after photo.



AFTER - July 2016. Excuse my messy closet.

 I still have more weight to lose, and it's going a lot slower now but I know I will eventually reach my goal and I will maintain it. Besides the weight loss I am so much healthier and happier. I am able to be more active than I have ever been. One year ago we went on a five mile hike and I thought I was going to die. A few weeks ago we went on that same hike and it was a piece of cake. I am excited to continue this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...