Thursday, September 15, 2016

Gluten-Free For Good by Samantha Seneviratne

I have been eating gluten-free since March 2016. I have spent years with stomach/digestive issues. For some reason it took me a long time to realize it probably had something to do with my diet. I assumed it was dairy, I had tried to cut dairy out a few times in the past and felt okay for a little while but my love of cheese was too strong and I'd always cheat within a week. We went to lunch to celebrate my birthday in February, after lunch Rob and I went for walk at one of our favorite parks in Nashville. My stomach hurt so bad that we had to turn around and go home a few minutes after arriving to the park. That day I thought about what I ate. I had a turkey club sandwich at lunch. Something finally clicked in my head, I thought "what if is isn't dairy, it's gluten?". My mom has been gluten-free for years but I never thought of trying it myself. After that day I decided to cut out dairy and gluten. I didn't last long without dairy and starting eating it again after a few weeks. I stuck to not eating gluten longer and noticed that I felt better, the sores in my mouth had gone away and my stomach wasn't killing me anymore. It has been hard to stick to a gluten-free diet, especially in a house with four kids but so far I've done pretty well.

I am always on the lookout for a cookbook that will allow me to make delicious gluten-free foods. When I had the opportunity to review Gluten-Free for Good by Samantha Seneviratne I jumped at the chance!

gluten free for good
(photo credit: jenloveslife)
The cookbook is beautifully photographed. I enjoyed that Senevirante provides a list of gluten-free pantry staples. Another plus for me is that none of the recipes call for any sort of gum. I am not opposed to using a gum in recipes but I do prefer cheap and easy recipes, adding gums to a recipe does scare me so I typically avoid recipes that call for a gum.

There are so many tasty recipes it was hard to decide what to try first. I have made the Sweet Potato and Spinach Hash, it was so easy and delicious. I did leave out the mint because I didn't have any on hand. Next I would like to try the Chocolate Toffee Popcorn and the Spiced Doughnuts with Mocha Glaze. I am a sucker for sweets so both of these just sound too good not to try!

gluten free doughnuts
(photo credit: jenloveslife)
I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a gluten-free cookbook full of easy to create, delicious recipes. All of the recipes in the book call for readily available ingredients, almost all of the recipes called for items I have seen at my local grocery store. If there was something I wasn't familiar with I would just look for something similar to sub in its place. For example, the Amaranth Tart with Kale, Caramelized Onions, and Gruyere calls for Lacinato kale, I don't know what that is and my grocery store has regular kale or purple kale so I will just replace the Lacinato kale with whatever the grocery store has at the time. The tart looks amazing, I can't wait to make that soon.

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...