Monday, May 20, 2013

Where We Camped: Utah

I've been meaning to do this for awhile but I have been waiting patiently for my computer to be fixed so that I would have access to photos of where we've stayed. Well, we finally took my computer in and the hard drive is fried! No hope of it ever working again. The computer guy said we should just buy a new one. Rob hopes to recover all my photos but I don't know when that will happen, so I will do what I have been doing and steal from my personal Facebook page.

arches national park
Double Arch at Arches National Park

The first time we camped as a family was on a trip to Arches National Park in Moab, Utah. As a kid I went camping often with my family. Rob printed a TV box at work with Arches on it and decided he wanted to go there. We weren't sure where to camp so we went with KOA, since it's a large company with many campgrounds and plenty of amenities we thought this would be good for our first try. We borrowed my dad's tent and headed out.
campingmoab utah

We stayed at the Moab KOA. The campground is large. There are cabins for rent as well as the RV and tent camp sites. There is also a small area where several motorcyclists stayed. We stayed in May 2012. The KOA has plenty of restrooms and showers. They were clean and well stocked. There is a small playground and a pool at the campground. We spent time in the pool, it was clean and the deck area was nice, but slippery. The playground equipment was hot, so the kids only played at the end of the day, when it had cooled off a bit. The KOA office has a small store. We didn't bring towels (never even thought about it) so we bought some from the camp store, I think we paid $5 a towel, not too bad. There is also a mini golf course and game room. We didn't use either of those.

bug
weirdest bug ever!
The tent spot we had was large enough for the 8-person tent and our Chevy Suburban to park. The site had a bbq grill and a picnic table. We made smores on the grill and hot dogs! There weren't many trees for shade, since it's the desert so it got hot! The campsites are somewhat divided so we did feel like we had privacy from our neighboring campers.
smores
ignore my dirty fingernails!
Getting to Arches National Park was easy from the Moab KOA. It was probably a 5-10 minute drive. The drive takes you through town. There are a few cute shops and fun places to shop. We didn't spend much time there, since we were only in Utah a few days, but I'd love to go back and explore the town more. I also want to see Canyonlands National Park so maybe someday we will visit again.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Love the Smore picture. Camping just isn't complete without a Smore.

    Thank you for linking up to Travel Tuesday great to have you there sharing your journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO fun! Some friends and I went to Arches on our spring break a few years ago. Delicate Arch was a super fun, but challenging hike ( at least for me!). It's a very beautiful area! It looks like you guys had fun. I would love for you to link up this post to our Photog Show and Tell.

    http://www.whistleandivy.com/2013/05/photo-show-and-tell-3.html

    P.S. That bug is called a Jerusalem Cricket. They are freaky looking, but relatively harmless, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't make it to Delicate Arch. I was bummed but it would have been super hard with a one year old. We hope to go back in a few years and hike up there!

      Delete
  3. The bug and the s'mores are my favorite!!
    V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bug was so weird. We were fascinated by it. Never seen anything like that before! The hubs was pretty horrified by my fingernails in that smores picture so I almost didn't post it. Plus, as someone told me once while in high school, I have old lady hands!! lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...