Thursday, March 7, 2013

Happy, Happy, Happy

Source

This week has been kicking my butt left and right. But, I have decided that instead of being bummed out by life I'm just going to be happy and positive. I'm going to embrace the good and accept the bad.

I can't change most of the decisions I've made in my life. I'm not sure I'd really want to change the bad anyway, since it would also change the good.

It's true that we spent an obscene amount of money for this RV traveling circus (and it's all pretty much gone, much faster than we budgeted, researched, and planned for). It's also true that Rob left a well paying job for this. Also, homeschooling three kids in three different grades while entertaining a 2 year old is really tough! I don't want to take back this trip though. I now realize my kids, in their short times alive, have seen more of this amazing country than most adults have.

So far, the girls have:
Splashed in many California beaches, from San Diego to San Francisco and  almost everywhere in between.
Hugged Giant Sequoia trees.
Watched quietly as seal lions sunbathed only a few feet away.
Stood under the magnificent waterfalls of Oregon.
Walked along the Colorado River in Arizona, Nevada, Utah and Colorado.
Climbed the sunset-colored Arches in Utah.
Driven over and through the Colorado Rocky Mountains.
Watched as cows grazed on grass close-by in Wyoming.
Looked on as a cow ran for its life, screaming as a cowboy tried to rope it (quiet possibly the saddest thing we've ever witnessed!).
Witnessed the quickness of prairie dogs crossing the freeway in Colorado, not all were quick.
Seen more antelope galloping through the wide openness of Wyoming than anyone could ever count.
Stood under massive rock sculptures of former presidents in South Dakota.
Fed scraps to a ground squirrel while tent camping in South Dakota.
Sat on the side of the road observing a small heard of buffalo caring for their young.
Traveled on many parts of Route 66.
Viewed the magnificence that is the Grand Canyon, twice!
Witnessed the breathtaking views of Sedona, Arizona.
Stared at the vastness of the New Mexico desert.
Walked through The Alamo.
Spent day and night chasing crabs on the Texas Coast.
Biked to McKinney Falls in Austin, Texas to witness the lack of water and its affects on the falls.
Observed alligators and turtles from the banks of water in Louisiana.
Walked along the Mississippi River in Louisiana, Arkansas and Tennessee.
Read about and visited the grave site local legend Petit Jean in Arkansas.
Sat on a river boat as it cruised along the Mississippi River.
Walked through Elvis Presley's house.
Ate Thanksgiving dinner surrounded by trees and a stream in Tennessee.
Sat in Elvis' favorite booth at his favorite childhood restaurant in Mississippi.
Spent New Years Eve in downtown Nashville listening to free music in the rain.
Walked along the Pigeon River in the Smoky Mountains.
Toured the "largest house in America" while in North Carolina.
Traveled on "one of the steepest passenger railways in the world" in Tennessee.
Walked through a cave in order to see a breathtaking waterfall in Tennessee.

These are just some of my favorite memories from our life. Who knows what the future will hold and what more adventures we will add to this list! I only wish C was older so she could remember all this since she has had a pretty awesome two years of life so far.

10 comments:

  1. I love this!! I can't wait till we get on the road and I have a list like this:)

    Just dropping in to return the visit and the sweet follow (via GFC)

    Ps I you get a chance would love for you to join Freedom Fridays Blog Hop or/and Lets Get Social Sunday:)

    Have an awesome day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has definitely been fun. I look forward to trying again when we retire. When we were in Texas at the coast we saw so many retired couples running around in their bathing suits all day, I want to be like that. It's harder with kids so once they're grown I want to do it all again!

      Delete
  2. I love this list of postivit!! It IS an exciting adventure. And the best part is you can take it at your own pace and you guys can end it when ever you choose!! It's an awesome adventure!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicky! I'm trying hard to stay positive! It's been tough but life's too short to be grumpy about things that don't go perfectly.

      Delete
  3. I instantly fell in love with your crazy, amazing story! My husband and I have talked about throwing caution to the wind and exploring the world around us...but you actually DID IT! I can't wait to read more about your adventures. You have a new fan (and follower).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. It is definitely crazy but we've had a lot of fun, so far!

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of living on the road. My husband and his father would do similar trips each summer. It's amazing the stories that he is able to tell. They mean even more to him now that his father has passed.

    Heather @ http://www.workfromhomewithkids.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls have been having a blast! I am glad they will have all of these awesome memories, well, our youngest is only 2 so she'll have to re-live it through photos. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful list. I made one recently and it included many amazing things I saw on my travels with my parents when I was a kid. They are magical memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have been looking at the list a lot over the last few days because they've been tough. Looking at it reminds me to be thankful for the things we do have and the things we have done!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...