Monday, February 11, 2013

Truth Tuesday: I Might Hate Homeschooling

I hate to admit it but I most days homeschooling wears me out and frustrates me.

I thought I went into this with lots of information and I had tons of ideas but it's just not going how I envisioned it. I had big dreams on how this was going to go but it hasn't been anywhere near what I thought it would be. Maybe that's because my family isn't the kind of family I thought it was. We are loud, obnoxious and a little bit crazy. It's hard to get everyone to sit down and focus on school. I thought I could do this easily since I did waste the last four years of my life trying to get a teaching degree.

It's not easy! It's hard. Super hard. The girls don't always listen and sometimes I wonder if they're learning enough.
This face basically sums up how G feels about school work!

G hates reading, she basically refuses to do it and the day almost always ends in a struggle to get her to read just a few pages of anything. She has come a long way and is reading much better than she used to but she still hates ALL books and I don't know how to get her to like reading. A can fly though her work, she is finishing up all of her workbooks right now. I planned those books to last the entire year. We have only been at this since October! I have to find more work for A so she can keep learning, I haven't figured out what exactly to do with her yet while she finishes all her lessons. L hates the workbooks, she says they are all boring. I'm sure that is true but I really don't know what else to do. We spent a lot of money getting books and workbooks for the kids and I feel like we have to stick it out with them because we paid money for these things.

There has been good times. We have done field trip days and I have tried to teach them about the places we've visited on this trip. The best school day we had was the day we spent with the park ranger at Padre Island National Seashore. The ranger there was awesome! He spent so much time explaining EVERYTHING to the girls. They loved the touch table, too. After talking to the ranger we went out to explore the beach and find all the fun things we learned about. The girls also enjoyed learning about the history of Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas. Now that we aren't traveling the fun has lessened. Rob is working a lot and we are stuck in the RV.

I feel like a huge failure because I'm not having fun doing this! At the same time, I don't know for sure that I want to give up. I feel like if I had one more year, to find better curriculum, I could make it work. I also feel like having a house will make it easier. We will have more space for fun things and more room for the girls to separate when they get on each others nerves. Even so,  the girls will be going back to school.

Rob is ready for them to go back to school. They will probably be enrolled in a public school shortly after we find a house. We are trying hard to find a house that fits all our needs and has great schools, it's not easy.

I will miss the girls when the go back to school but I think it will probably be for the best. They will have an easier time making friends in their new town if they go to school and maybe G will have better luck in the classroom. I will be less stressed as well. We will have more time for fun things and I think it will make everyone happier in the long run. It's still a bummer though, that wasn't all roses and cupcakes.

***Truth Tuesday was L's idea. The kids like to read the blog, when she saw I was replacing Confession Friday with Flashback Friday she said I should move the confessions to Tuesday and call it "Truth Tuesday" so that's what I did :)

2 comments:

  1. I could never, ever home school. It's just not my "thing" (at all) and I excel in imparting to my children in lots of other different ways. Major kudos to you for even trying and doing it for so long. And. It WILL all work out, no matter which path you choose, because when you love your kids, it just does. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words!

      At least I can say I tried, right? If I wouldn't have ever given it a shot I would have probably always wondered if I should have done it. The girls have been in public schools all their lives (so far) and they've been just fine so I'm sure they will continue to be okay once they go back!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...