Saturday, January 5, 2013

Fish Tacos with Chipotle White Sauce


I LOVE fish tacos. Rob and the kids could do without them but they’ve decided to eat fish tacos for dinner once in a while just to please me, I love them (Rob and the kids!). The tacos are pretty simple and fairly cheap to make, two things that make me happy! 

I use frozen beer battered fish filets for the tacos. I cook the filets according to the package directions. Typically, I buy the Gorton’s brand but if I’m feeling extra cheap I’ll get the store brand fish. They taste similar. I chop green cabbage for the tacos. I make a chipotle white sauce for the tacos. This is fairly easy and simple too. I usually add a Pico de Gallo salsa to the tacos, too. The salsa gives the tacos nice color. Rob and the girls like their taco shells crunchy so I fry up their corn tortillas. I like soft fish tacos so I just warm my tortillas on the stove.

I wish I had tomatoes because it looks way prettier with tomatoes
We were out of tomatoes and I didn’t have time to run to the store

White sauce recipe:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 lime, plus the zest
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 TSP of adobo sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine sour cream and mayonnaise in a bowl. Add zest of one lime. Squeeze half of lime juice into the mixture. Dice chipotle pepper. I usually use two peppers but it really depends on your own preferences. I cut the pepper open and scrape out the seeds, because I don’t like it too hot. Add a teaspoon of the adobo sauce to the mixture. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well. I like to refrigerate the sauce for about 20 minutes before using but you could use it immediately.

Pico de Gallo salsa recipe:
3 medium tomatoes
1/2 large white onion
1 bunch of cilantro

Dice onions. Dice cilantro. Chop tomatoes. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Sometimes I add a dash of Tabasco for a kick. I usually chop the ingredients in the food processor. Just don’t let it go too long or the salsa will turn to mush. You want it fairly chunky. You could also dice a jalapeno pepper for a little more kick or leave it plain if you don’t like your salsa spicy.

5 comments:

  1. These look YUMMY!! Thank you for sharing your white sauce recipe. I am going to have to give this a try.

    So glad you could link up at this week’s Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and thanks for hosting the blog hop!

      Delete
  2. Today is the perfect day for me to stop by. I'm making fish tacos for dinner. I do a Baja style with tilapia and beer batter. Your tacos look yummy. I will try your sauce some time. Thank you for sharing! Dropping by from the Our Everyday Harvest's Harvest of Friends Blog Hop. Hope you can drop by too. http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I just checked out your blog and love your reviews. I like that you give an honest opinion on what you thought. Have a great weekend.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...