Saturday, December 29, 2012

Brownies!

I have been craving some gooey chocolate goodness for days now. It is making me miss my favorite brownies. I found this recipe a few years ago on the blog bread & honey. The title of the post "the best vegan brownies. i swear" doesn't do these tasty bites justice. I'm not vegan, I did try to be a vegetarian for awhile but that didn't work out because I was too lazy to constantly cook each and every meal and snack I ate from scratch. Anyhow, these are the best homemade brownies period.

I am a horrible baker, even though I like to think I'm amazing at it but truth is, I suck. My scratch made cupcakes could be used as lethal weapons; the small, round brick-like creations that come out of the oven are deadly. When I make brownies they usually taste chalky and well, gross. These brownies taste magnificent. I have made them several times and they are yummy each time. LA also took them to her class last year and the kids in her class liked them.The girls love it because they can taste the batter since there aren't any raw eggs in the mix.

I followed the recipe as listed below but we added extra chocolate chips on top and since the kids don't like nuts I added walnuts to the top of half the brownies. The recipe also states that the brownies taste better cooled but they were equally tasty warm, in my opinion. I can't wait until I have a full size oven again to cook up a big batch of these suckers!

This is the first batch we ever made

I wish I had some of these right now!!


So, here's the recipe:

The Best Vegan Brownies Ever

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 11 x 17" or 9 x 13" pan.
Boil water and 1/2 cup of the flour in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste. Remove from heat and let cool.
Mix sugars, salt, vanilla, cocoa and oil. Then add the rest of the flour-water mixture and mix well. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour and baking powder, mix well, and then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if you're using them). The end mixture will be rather thick.
Spread the mixture into your baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. These are much better when completely cooled.

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely love brownies, these look great! I saw your post on bloggy moms and following you by email now. I look forward to your future posts :)

    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I checked out your blog, lots of great recipes that I'll be trying.

      Delete
  2. This look delish! Too bad I am flour free right now or I'd probably be making them at 7 a.m.! Hopping over from Share It Saturday! Have a great New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! You are definitely a stronger person than I, I don't think I could give up flour for even a day! :) Happy New Year.

      Delete
  3. Sounds great. I still have to try to make brownies with out the box :(. This should give me a good push. Thank you very much.
    And thank you for joining my blog hop at http://www.growingpatch.com/blog-hop/
    Garrett.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. I'm not a very good baker and the brownies are the only thing I can make without the use of a box.

      Delete
  4. I am a brownie addict, and these look amazing!

    Thank you for sharing your recipe and for joining this week’s Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! You are making me hungry... Thanks so much for linking up to Sare It Saturday last week. I hope you will stop by again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and thanks for hosting the hop!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...